GIVE US A BRIEF RUNDOWN OF WHO YOU ARE, WHERE YOU’RE FROM AND WHAT YOU’RE PASSIONATE ABOUT.
Hi, I'm Toa Pere. I'm 14 years old and live on the North Shore of Oahu.
My passions include surfing, outrigger canoe (one-man and six-man), prone paddleboarding, Big wave surfing, and swimming. I am striving to become a great waterman like my Dad.
WHAT’S THE NEXT CHALLENGE FOR YOU?
I have a goal this year, to be the youngest competitor ever to finish the Molokai to Oahu paddleboard race solo. I am super excited about all the fun and challenging surf contests, canoe and paddleboard races that are coming up this spring, summer and fall.
WHAT DO YOU LIKE TO DO OUTSIDE OF BEING IN THE OCEAN?
Outside the ocean, I love to play guitar, hang out with my little brother & family. I do chores around the house and yard, but don’t love those:) I work hard to make good grades in school too.
WHAT ACCOMPLISHMENTS ARE YOU MOST PROUD OF?
- Member of Kahuku High and Intermediate Surf Team
- Qualified for the HSA State Champs 2 years in a row
- Recently started to push my limits by surfing Big Sunset and Waimea Bay
- First place at the Outrigger Surf Jam
- Numerous finals appearances as a competitive surfer
- Member of Ka Lahui Kai Racing Team
- Qualified World Long Distance Championships for summer 2023 in Samoa, representing Hawai’i
- Currently competing in the Kanaka Ikaika Race series
- Second place Catalina Classic Crossing 2022, 22 miles
- Molokai Crossing summer 2022, 32 miles
- First paddleboard race at 8 years old (and loved it!)
- 1st place, Da Hui paddleboard race Sunset to Waimea 2022
- 1st team Overall Florence Marine X Bluewater Classic, 22 miles
- 3rd place, under 16s, Duke paddleboard race
- 3rd place, under 16s, Cline Mann paddleboard race